How do you check to see if your mortgage company paid your property taxes each year?

My mortgage company failed to pay my taxes for two years. Now I am paying for it! I was advised to check each year to see if they were paying it. How do you do that? Besides waiting for a letter saying there’s a tax lien on your house!

By | 2013-08-26T05:22:15+00:00 August 26th, 2013|Mortgages Home Loans Interest Rate|6 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Gabriel R August 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM - Reply

    Usually the Tax Assessors Office sends a letter every six months in which it shows how much was paid in tax by the mortgage company, if the taxes are included in your mortgage. But if you haven’t received anything in the mail give them a call and fin out!

  2. Kevin Williams August 26, 2013 at 6:43 AM - Reply

    Sharon T made an excellent point and I will build on that a bit. The tax department normally mail’s you a bill every 3 months. You may have to start giving more attention to your mails but I am sure in there they notified you about the delinquent taxes. Most states also do some type of tax auction every year. The list is posted online and in a local paper months before the auction. You have several different sources to track the info down.

  3. Joe August 26, 2013 at 6:41 AM - Reply

    Your township tax collector should be your first call. They’re usually very nice people.

  4. Sharon T August 26, 2013 at 6:30 AM - Reply

    You can also request the county mail you a copy of your real estate bill each year. It will show any arrearage from the previous year.

  5. August 26, 2013 at 5:48 AM - Reply

    Look up your city/county’s tax assessor’s phone number or web site. Or you may have to visit them in person to find out.

  6. what the heck? August 26, 2013 at 5:47 AM - Reply

    Most tax offices have a website where you can search to see if your taxes were paid. If the mortgage company did not pay taxes that were being escrowed, they are in violation of federal statutes. Contact the regulators of the mortgage company to file a complaint.

Leave A Comment