How and what do I need to file a quit claim deed?

Parents got divorced 19 years ago, father is still on the deed to my mothers house. Both are still living but mother cannot get loans on house because of the title. Property is in Chicago, Illinois and both parents reside in the state of Illinois.

By | 2013-08-28T03:19:23+00:00 August 28th, 2013|Mortgages Home Loans Interest Rate|7 Comments

About the Author:


  1. apropos92 August 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM - Reply

    I would advise you at least talk with a title agent or attorney. The easiest way for your mother to obtain sole title to the home is for your father to sign a quit claim deed. You can obtain one on-line, but you must be aware, that since there is a 19 + year gap since the last documentation was filed on your mother and father’s behalf, it is possible that there is a great deal of recorded documentation on your mother’s title. A title agent will perform a title search, and make sure that there is nothing clouding the property title. If your father and mother are on good terms, he will hopefully agree to take care of his responsibilities, and agree to sign the quit claim & pay for any clouds on title for which he is responsible. The transfer of title should have been a stipulation in your parents’ divorce. The title agent will also check to see if there are any recorded documents which state anything about how title is to be dealt with. If you are lucky and there is something in the divorce decree, your father can be asked to abide by the decree in lieu of legal action. As I sincerely doubt that any such paperwork exists, Your mother’s best option is to agree to buy the property from your father. All of this depends entirely how amicably your parents get along, and how reasonable they are in completing this transaction. If there is animosity, do not expect very much. Your mother may be required to seek legal council in order to get anything completed.

  2. chatsplas August 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM - Reply

    Go to attorney and have a QC deed prepared and recorded. Want to make sure it is properly done.
    Need legal description of property from deed, mortgage documents, tax bills.

  3. tro August 28, 2013 at 6:49 AM - Reply

    you can possibly get fill in forms on the County web site and complete them, you will need your father to sign them and then file them with the county
    this should notify the assessors’ office that your mother is now the only person on the tax rolls, she is the only owner of the property

  4. Landlord August 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM - Reply

    You do not file anything. Your father can sign his rights away at the title company though. It would be stupid of him, but he can do it as long as there are no liens or mortgages tied to the house with his name on them.

  5. knowitall August 28, 2013 at 5:08 AM - Reply

    You can get a copy online for free, fill it out from the legal in the one you mother has, have your Dad sign it with a witness and Notary, file it at the county courthouse.

  6. jlf August 28, 2013 at 4:30 AM - Reply

    Your father must execute the quit claim deed – which transfers any interest he has in the title to another party (your mother). Then that deed must be officially filed.

  7. D August 28, 2013 at 3:40 AM - Reply

    Google Image “Cheryl Cole” and shut up.

Leave A Comment