Do Representatives have to own a home in their district or can they rent?

For example, in New York buying an apartment/home is really expensive so do they just rent?

By | 2013-08-28T05:19:17+00:00 August 28th, 2013|Mortgages Home Loans Interest Rate|4 Comments

About the Author:


  1. deb.peg1 August 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM - Reply

    Representatives (you don’t say which sort, local or national) generally have to be residents of the zone/district in which they are running or representing. Its sort of like proving residency when applying to college. You don’t have to own, but you have to show proof through rental receipts/mortgage payments, where you pay your taxes, where you earn your money, etc.

  2. coldfuse August 28, 2013 at 7:31 AM - Reply

    Generally, they need to establish residence (not property ownership).

  3. Beach Zen August 28, 2013 at 6:36 AM - Reply

    The requirements vary by state, but residency is generally an open and undefined issue. Some representatives have used a hotel address as their residency, and were not challenged by this.

  4. John Sanders August 28, 2013 at 6:15 AM - Reply

    Most representatives are pretty wealthy

Leave A Comment