Divorced 7 yrs and still receiving credit card offers in that name?

I’ve been divorced for 7 yrs and legally took my maiden name back. I still receive credit card offers for my former married name. What can I do to stop this?

By | 2013-08-26T21:18:55+00:00 August 26th, 2013|Mortgages Home Loans Interest Rate|4 Comments

About the Author:


  1. latebreakfast August 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM - Reply

    You’re getting these offers because the credit bureaus sell a limited amount of your information to them so they can make you an offer.
    It sounds like your previous name is still on your credit reports.
    You can call them and request it be updated.
    Here’s the phone numbers:
    Transunion: 1-877-322-8228
    Experian: 1- 888 397 3742
    Equifax : 1-800-685-1111

  2. FRANK Mortgage Broker August 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM - Reply

    My dog has received credit card offers in the mail. Go figure.

  3. Alphageek August 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM - Reply

    As long as you are not still active on any credit accounts under your married name, I would obtain your credit reports
    (if you haven’t gotten one in the past year, you can get your reports from all 3 agencies from http://www.annualcreditreport.com ). Once you’ve obtained the reports, see if your married name still shows as an alias on them. If so, contact each credit reporting agency and request the name be removed as invalid.

    In order for this to be succesful, though, you can’t have any credit accounts (open or closed) currently reporting on your credit report under your married name. As long as one account is still being reported under your “old” name, the reporting agency will refuse to delete the alias from your credit record.

    If you want to stop getting the pre-approved offers only,
    you can “opt-out” of prescreened credit offers over the web
    at https://www.optoutprescreen.com .

  4. golferwhoworks August 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM - Reply

    opt out 888-567-8688 and this will stop almost all offers in the mail in just a few weeks

Leave A Comment